Business Licensing, Tax Applications & Forms

Thinking of starting a business in Mt. Crested Butte?

We've included some frequently asked questions, informative statewide links and a few documents you will need to get going.

You can also pick these documents up at Town Hall. All accompanying fees must be paid in person.

Any other questions can be directed to either Jill Lindros or Tiffany O'Connell at 970-349-6632.

 What do I need to get started?

In accordance with Section 19-31 of the Municipal Code, any person engaged in any business in the town of Mt. Crested Butte must obtain both a Sales Tax License and a Business & Occupational License. All applications can be downloaded here and submitted online or via USPS to Town Hall, P.O. Box 5800, Mt. Crested Butte, CO 81225.

 What do I need to do with the state of Colorado?

There are several steps involved with the state, including  the registration process and determining the legal structure of your business. The state of Colorado has an informative website, which allows you to register online, and also offers several answers to some of the questions you may have. In addition, the Colorado Secretary of State Business Center provides information regarding trademarks and filing tips for your business. If you have any further questions, contact Town Hall and we can lead you in the right direction.

 What if I want a liquor license?

The Town Clerk has all necessary forms and information to help you through the liquor licensing process. You may also obtain forms, information and a copy of the Colorado Liquor and Beer Licensee Handbook by choosing the Liquor Enforcement link in the Department of Revenue website.

All new liquor licenses, transfers of ownership, renewals, and special events liquor licenses must be approved by both the Town of Mt. Crested Butte and the Colorado Department of Revenue Liquor Enforcement Division. Transfers of ownership, renewals, registration of managers, changes in corporate structure, granting of temporary permits and changes in trade or corporate name may be renewed and approved by the Town Clerk without public hearing or appearance before the Town Council. New liquor licenses and special events liquor licenses will require a public hearing before Town Council. Current Town Liquor Fees.

 Are there fees involved for a liquor license?

All fees (both to the Town of Mt. Crested Butte) and to the Department of Revenue), all applications and pertinent documentation related to obtaining a liquor license or renewal of an existing license must be returned to the Town Clerk, who will forward your application and applicable fees to the Department of Revenue after local approval of your license. The Department of Revenue will not accept applications directly from an applicant. Please note that the processing and approval of a liquor license can be a time consuming and lengthy procedure. Please allow at least two months for processing and approval of a new license or transfer of ownership and approximately one month for the processing and approval of a special events liquor license.

 How much do I pay in taxes?

In Colorado, tax rates vary depending on the type of business and the type of tax. State tax collection is the primary responsibility of the Colorado Department of Revenue, so keeping up to date with the laws and the rates should be high on your priority list. For current taxes, rate changes and other information including online classes, consult the Colorado Department of Revenue website.

 What do I do if I just want to rent my house?

Renting your house (or condo) or any room in your house within town limits requires that you pay a pillow tax, in accordance with Mt. Crested Butte Town Code. The application can be downloaded above or picked up at Town Hall. Pillow tax fee is $10 per pillow, 1 pillow constituting a single or twin bed and 2 pillows constituting a double, queen, king or hide-a-bed.

 What is an Admissions Tax?

According to the Town of Mt. Crested Butte Admissions Tax Ordinance, an Admissions Tax is paid on any money collected to gain admission into a special event in town that is open to the public. Filing dates vary according to the type of event, whether it be recurring or not. For further questions, contact Jill Lindros at Town Hall.
Official Website of the Town of Mt. Crested Butte, Colorado

The Town of Mt. Crested Butte does not discriminate. All employees and beneficiaries of Town programs and policies are treated equally without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation age or disability