Police Department Frequently Asked Questions


 What are the parking regulations in the town?

  • There is no parking on any street in the Town of Mt. Crested Butte.
  • Regulations in public parking areas vary.
  • Please read signs that are posted in each lot before you park.
  • Never park on private property! The property owner has to right to have your car towed.
  • We will ticket any vehicle that is parked illegally.
  • We will tow any vehicle that is blocking emergency or snow removal activities, any vehicle that is parked illegally, or any vehicle that appears abandoned.

 What if I get a parking ticket or my vehicle is towed?

If your car is towed

You may contest the tow in the Mt. Crested Butte Municipal Court. Please call the Court Clerk 970-349-6632 to arrange a court date.

If you receive a parking ticket
You can pay the fine prior to the court date indicated on the ticket by mailing the correct fine amount in the envelope provided to:

Municipal Court Clerk
P.O. Box 5800
Mt. Crested Butte, Colorado 81225

You also have the right to contest a parking ticket in the Mt. Crested Butte Municipal Court on the date written on your parking ticket. The Court is located in Town Hall at 911 Gothic Road in Mt. Crested Butte.

If you fail to pay your parking ticket prior to your court date  or fail to appear in Court on the date indicated on your ticket, a warrant may be issued for your arrest.

 How do I report a crime?

If it is an emergency, please call 911 immediately.

If it is not an emergency, call the Police Department at 970-349-6516

If no one is at the office, call Gunnison Communications at 970-641-8200.

 I need to get fingerprinted. Do you offer this service?

Yes, the Police Department provides fingerprinting services.

Please call the office at 349-6516 to set up an appointment with the officer on duty.

We charge a $5.00 fee for all applicant fingerprinting services.

 I received a ticket or summons. What do I need to know?

Determine whether the ticket is a summons or a penalty assessment
If the ticket requires that you appear in Court, it is a summons.
If you have the option to pay a fine and forego appearance in court, you have received a penalty assessment.

If the ticket is a penalty assessment then you have two options:
1. You can pay the fine by mailing the correct amount to the proper address indicated on the ticket. It must be received before the assigned court date in order for you to avoid penalties. If you receive a state or county violation ticket, you can mail the fine within twenty days of receiving the ticket and receive a point reduction. If it is a municipal violation and ticket, you will not receive  a point reduction, as the Town of Mt. Crested Butte does not participate in a point reduction program.

2. You have the right to protest any citation by appearing in court on the date indicated on your citation. For State and County violations, you will need to appear in Gunnison County Court. Their number is 970-641-3500. For Municipal violations, you will need to appear in the Mt. Crested Butte Municipal Court. That number is 970-349-6632.

If you received a summons, a court appearance is mandatory. You must appear on the date and time in the proper Court as specified on your summons.  Should you fail to appear for your court date, a warrant will be issued for your arrest.

 Where can I get a Vehicle Identification Check (VIN Check)?

If you need to get a VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) check, come to the Police  Department during regular business hours and someone will be glad to help you. You will need to bring the vehicle's title or registration, as well as the vehicle, with you.

If the vehicle cannot legally be driven, we don't want you to get a ticket so give us a call and we'll arrange a time to meet with you at your residence or location of the vehicle. We try to do your check the same day that you call, but we can't guarantee it.

 How do I file a statement with the Police?

You can download a statement form, fill it out, and fax, mail, or drop it off at the department.

You can also come by the Police Department in person.

 Do you have a lost and found?

Please call or drop by the office. We keep a list of all items reported lost to us or turned into us as found property. You might also want to contact other neighboring jurisdictions, Crested Butte Mountain Resort Guest Services 970-349-2333, KBUT Radio 970-349-7444, and the Crested Butte Chamber of Commerce 970-349-6438. All of these agencies cooperate to help recover lost items or report found items, and share information with one another.

 Do you sell Colorado Search & Rescue Cards?

Yes, the Police Department offers this service.
We are a registered vendor for the Colorado Outdoor Recreation Search and Rescue (CORSAR) Card. The card is intended for those who use the back country of Colorado and do not have a current Colorado fishing or hunting license, or a current Colorado ATV, snowmobile, or boat license. These cards reimburse the local Sheriff's Office for costs that are incurred during a search and rescue operation for the CORSAR cardholder. It will not reimburse the cardholder for costs incurred by the cardholder, such as medical bills.

We sell a one-year card for $3.00 and a five-year card for $12.00.

For more information call the Colorado Dept. of Local Affairs at 970.248.7310 or visit their website.

 Can I obtain a list of registered sex offenders living in the area?

Please stop by the Police Department to request a current list of sex offenders registered within the town limits of Mt. Crested Butte. If you need to request a list from another town, you can contact that department directly or we will be happy to submit your request to the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI).  You may also request this information online from CBI's website.

CBI also provides an online sex offender posting for sex offenders statewide that fall into four categories: felony arrests, sexually violent predators, failure to registers, and multiple offenders. Due to CBI privacy restrictions, we cannot provide a direct link to this site. However, you can access it through CBI's home page.

 How do I file an automobile accident report?

If you need immediate attention, there are injuries involved, or it is an alcohol related accident, call 911 to have an officer respond to the scene.

If it is a "cold" accident (it happened a few hours or days prior), you have three options:
  1. You can fill out an accident report online at the Colorado State Patrol site.
  2. You can download an accident form and fax, mail, or drop off the form at the Police Department.
  3. You can come into the Police Department and fill out an accident form in person.

 How do I obtain a copy of a police report?

You will need to sign a records request form as well as sign a non-pecuniary gains statement in order to have a request for records processed. You can download the records request form and fax or mail it to the office.

Please note that we impose the following fee schedule for copies of police records:
  • $5.00 per records search.
  • $0.25 per page copied.
  • $1.00 per record for any redaction of information as required by statute.
  • $20.00 per hour shall be charged for time spent in manipulating any records or data in order to comply with your request for inspection or copying of criminal justice records.
  • $10.00 for each copy of a record, or partial record, media types other than paper; i.e., disk, CD-ROM, DVD, tape, etc.
  • Actual shipping charges will be charged to the requesting party when expedited or certified shipping is requested.
The above fees shall be waived for requests of records made by victims and/or witnesses named in the requested record.  The record search fee shall be waived if no information is found.

Colorado is an open records state and we comply with all statutes as defined by the Colorado Open Records Law. We cannot release an individual's criminal history.  You may obtain a person's Colorado criminal history by contacting the Colorado Bureau of Investigation's online record check service or by calling 303-239-4208.
Official Website of the Town of Mt. Crested Butte, Colorado

The Town of Mt. Crested Butte does not discriminate. All employees and beneficiaries of Town programs and policies are treated equally without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation age or disability