This page provides a list of frequently asked questions.

If you do not find the information you are seeking, please visit specific Department pages or contact Town Hall and we will attempt to answer your question to the best of our ability.

 Can I park on the street in front of my house?

It is illegal to park on any street or right-of-way within the town limits of Mt. Crested Butte.

This is especially problematic during winter months as it interferes with plowing activities. Your car will be towed.

 Does my dog need a license in Mt. Crested Butte?

Yes, All resident dogs must be registered with the town and obtain a license. They are available during regular business hours at Town Hall.

 During the Summer months, what are the lawn watering restrictions?

Lawn watering restrictions are imposed by The Mt. Crested Butte Water & Sanitation District, which is a separate entity from Town Hall. You can contact them at 970-349-7575 or visit visit the Water & Sanitation District website.

 How do I apply for a job with the town?

Detailed information on employment with the town of Mt. Crested Butte is available on this site under the Office of the Town Manager. There is also an online application form. You can also visit the Employment section on this site for additional information regarding employment within the Gunnison Valley.

 How do I get a permit to build a house?

This is a two-step process:
  1. Submit plans to the Community Development Department in order to obtain approval of the zoning and design aspects from the Mt. Crested Butte Planning Commission.

  2. Prepare construction plans in compliance with the building code and have them approved by department staff. Visit the Community Development Department sectionn this site for step-by-step instructions and related links.

 How do I proceed with an excavation within the town?

The procedure is to acquire a permit from the department, which includes posting a bond. The amount of the bond is based on the cubic yardage to be excavated.

 How can I confirm the zoning on a particular tract or parcel?

The Town's Official Comprehensive Zoning Map is published on this website.

 How do I determine the setback requirements for a particular tract or parcel?

Setbacks are found in the Zoning Code and are defined according to each particular zoning district. Further, setbacks are based on height of the existing or proposed structure.

 How is building height calculated in the Town of Mt. Crested Butte?

Height is a function of the average existing grade at the base of the structure subtracted from the highest component of the roof.

 How do I file an automobile accident report?

First, if you need immediate attention, please call 911. If there are injuries involved or it is an alcohol related accident, call 911 to have an officer respond to the scene.

If it is a "cold" accident (it happened a few hours or days prior), you have three options:
  • You can fill out an accident report online at the Colorado State Patrol site.
  • You can download an accident form and fax, mail, or drop off the form at the Police Department.
  • You can come into the Police Department and fill out an accident form in person.

 How do I report a crime?

If it is an emergency, please call 911 immediately.

If it is not an emergency, you can call the Police Department at 970-349-6516 or, if no one is at the office, Gunnison Communications at 970-641-8200.

 I need to get fingerprinted. Do you offer this service?

Yes, the Police Department provides fingerprinting services. Please call the office at 970-349-6516 to set up an appointment with the officer on duty. We charge a $5.00 fee for all applicant fingerprinting services.

 How do I file a statement with the Police?

You can download a statement form, fill it out, and fax, mail, or drop it off at the department.

You can also come by the Police Department in person and fill out a statement.

 Do you have a lost and found?

Please call or drop by the Police Department. We keep a list of all items reported lost to us or turned in to us as found property.

You might also want to contact other neighboring jurisdictions, Crested Butte Mountain Resort Guest Services 970-349-2333, KBUT Radio 970-349-7444, and the Crested Butte Chamber of Commerce 970-349-6438. All of these agencies cooperate to help recover lost items or report found items, and often share information with one another.

 Do you sell Colorado Search & Rescue Cards?

Yes, the Police Department is a registered vendor for the Colorado Outdoor Recreation Search and Rescue (CORSAR) Card. The card is intended for those who use, or plan to use, the back country of Colorado and do not have a current Colorado fishing or hunting license, or a current ATV, snowmobile, or boat license. These cards reimburse the local Sheriff's Department for costs that are incurred during a search and rescue operation. It will not reimburse the Cardholder for costs incurred by the Cardholder, such as medical bills.

We sell a one-year card for $3.00 and a five-year card for $12.00.

For more information call the Colorado Dept. of Local Affairs at 970-248-7310 or visit the website.

 Can I obtain a list of registered sex offenders living in the area?

Please stop by the Police Department to request a current list of sex offenders registered within the town limits of Mt. Crested Butte. If you need to request a list from another town, you can contact that department directly or we will be happy to submit your request to the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI).

You may also request this information directly from CBI online by accessing their sex offender site. The CBI also provides an online sex offender posting for sex offenders statewide that fall into four categories: felony arrests, sexually violent predators, failure to registers, and multiple offenders. Due to privacy restrictions by the CBI, we cannot provide a direct link to this site.
Official Website of the Town of Mt. Crested Butte, Colorado

The Town of Mt. Crested Butte does not discriminate. All employees and beneficiaries of Town programs and policies are treated equally without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation age or disability